http://www.immerwachsen.com/2013/05/07/strawberry-ice-cream-coconut-milk/ Strawberry Ice Cream Ingredients: 2 cans coconut milk 6 ounces frozen strawberries OR…
I feel your pain if you have cravings for sweets!
Sweets are/had been my battle.
When I was a kid, all the way through college and beyond, I ate a lot of pasta, rice, cereal, bread – this stuff was low fat, easy to make and fast to make and eat, not to mention tasty. But it I believe that eating this way all those years created an imbalance in my gut bacteria and caused me to crave refined sweets…and experience bloating!
This is what helped me and might help you, too.
- Eat plenty of foods that are high in prebiotics:
- under-ripe bananas
- raw or cooked onions
- raw asparagus
- raw dandelion
- Use Apple Cider Vinegar (unfiltered with the mother) daily.
- Dilute it with water.
- It can kill off the yeast (Candida) bacteria that builds up (from all those starchy processed carbs and sugary foods) and creates the gut bacteria imbalance.
- I started with ACV then moved to Clean Slate supplement (from My Custom Cleanse) instead of ACV…it has a stronger effect. I’m now using ACV again and sometimes the Clean Slate.
- Make sure to get some healthy carbs that have lots of fiber.
You might be craving fast-acting carbs like sweets because you’re trying to go Keto or Paleo or Atkins and not getting enough fruit and/or starchy vegetables. Those specialized diets can work for some people, I just think they are not realistic for most women.
- Perhaps you are skipping meals and going for 6-8 hours without eating…that will cause you to crave sweets, too.
- Get enough sleep.
I know, for some this is easier said than done. Once again, your body is looking for quick energy that comes from sweets and low quality, processed carbs like bagels, bread, cookies, brownies, etc.
- Increase your fiber intake.
- This will help you feel full and improve digestion.
- Try adding chia seeds (skip if you have diverticulitis) to salads, smoothies, and recipes like meatballs and meat loaf. (Learn a little about chia seeds here: https://wellnessmama.com/4981/chia-seeds-benefits/)
- Eat more veggies!
- Make a commitment to go sweets-free for at least 3 days.
- I know what you’re thinking: “If I could do that, I wouldn’t be reading this!” Well, you CAN do it.
- Sweets eat sweets…well, sort of.
Those yeast bacteria in your gut talked about above, well, the force is strong with them! The yeast bacteria become more numerous with sugar. Those bugs need sugar to survive and multiply, so they send a signal to your brain causing you to crave more sugar. Just say “No.”