This is a good recipe for kids or a treat for yourself, but not an everyday item for someone on a weight loss plan.
The ingredients are “real,” so your body can metabolize and utilize them, rather than some store-bought chocolate cake that has tons of man-made ingredients.
Link to original recipe: Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 1/4 cups chopped raw walnuts
- 2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 4 large or 5 medium bananas)
- 3 oz unsweetened or very dark chocolate, grated
- 6 Tbsp ghee, butter, lard, or palm shortening, melted
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups cassava flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F. I think a silicone pan is always the best for Paleo baking, but you can use a standard stainless steel loaf pan, too. Prepare a loaf pan by greasing with any fat (lard, coconut oil, butter, ghee, palm shortening, etc.) and “flouring” with cassava flour (you could use arrowroot powder here, too, for a cheaper alternative). Tap out excess flour.
- Spread walnuts over a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes to toast. Let cool slightly before adding to batter in step 6.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly mash bananas. Grate chocolate with a box grater or Microplane zester. Add to mashed bananas.
- Mix in ghee (or other fat), coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix cassava flour with salt and baking soda.
- Add cassava flour mixture to banana mixture. Stir to form a thick batter. Fold in toasted walnuts.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan, and spread the top out so that it’s even. Bake for 1 hour and use the toothpick test to check for doneness (poke a toothpick in the middle of the loaf; if it comes out gummy, give it an additional 5-10 minutes of baking time).
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then remove and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before serving (it’s tasty warm, but the texture is better cooled).
- Slice and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for up to a few days or in the fridge or freezer for longer.