This recipe had me at “simple”…
I thought it would make a great Memorial Day picnic dish to bring…no mayo or pasta!
Recipe link: Simple Cucumber Salad
- 1½ large English cucumbers
- 1-2 tsp salt (for salting the cucumber)
- 4 large green onions
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- Slice cucumber very finely (use a mandoline slicer set to 1/8” thick). Sprinkle liberally with salt, and let sit in a colander in your sink for 1 hour.
- Rinse cucumber thoroughly (taste a piece to make sure you’ve rinsed all the salt off). Let the cucumber slices drain on paper towels or a clean tea towel to dry completely.
- Slice green onions. Finely chop cilantro. Finely zest lemon. Combine onions, cilantro, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil and cracked pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour dressing over the cucumber, stir to incorporate, and serve! You can refrigerate this salad for several hours up to overnight; simply give it a stir to redistribute the dressing before serving.