I got this recipe from George Mateljan and www.whfoods.org. Two ingredients in this dish that I love for their health benefits and wonderful taste are ginger and turmeric.
Ginger is a wonderful herb know for its ability to prevent and heal gastro-intestinal distress. It also has antioxidant properties which help with, among other things, anti-aging, disease prevention and recovery from exercise.
Turmeric is know for its anti-inflammatory properties and it’s ability to prevent many medical conditions from varicose veins, Alzheimer’s disease to cancer (side note about turmeric – Dr. Joseph Mercola of www.mercola.com says to buy only the best turmeric possible – organic without additives- otherwise it won’t have the healing properties)
If you make this dish, please let me know what you think of it!
Curried Chicken Over Spinach
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces (6oz each)
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 TBS fresh ginger chopped, or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 medium sized onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1 medium sized red bell pepper julienne about 1 inch long
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, make sure it is mixed well before using
- 4 bunches fresh spinach
- salt & white pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil for spinach. While water is coming to a boil, cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Healthy Sauté onion in a medium sauté pan over medium low heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic and fresh ginger and continue to sauté for another minute. Add turmeric, and curry and mix well. Add stock, chicken, bell peppers, and coconut milk. Simmer until chicken is done, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper.
- While chicken is cooking, cut ends off the bunch of spinach all at once. Don’t bother trying to do it one stem at a time. It will take you too long and it is not necessary. Rinse spinach well and drop into boiling water for just 1 minute. Strain and press dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place spinach on plates and top with chicken mixture.
For optimum flavor and nutrition serve with:
- Minted Carrots