If you are still doing long sessions on the treadmill or bike, it’s time to change it up. Stop doing hour long sessions on the cardio equipment if you want to lose fat, especially belly fat.
The best way to lose fat is actually a simple formula. Metabolic Resistance Training + Intervals + Supportive Eating (calorie deficit) = Fat Loss! You don’t have to spend hours in the gym anymore. In fact, our Fat Burning Boot Camp classes are only 45 minutes and include warm-up, workout and stretching. Body weight exercises are among the top exercises for busy mom’s who are short on time and want a full body workout that boosts metabolism during and after the workout!
Why Do Intervals
Studies show that people who do high intensity short bursting exercises:
- Have improved fat loss
- Improve their VO2 Max (oxygen capacity)= endurance/stamina (think run around & play with your kids without getting winded)
Maintain lean muscle tissue (long cardio sessions can actually have the opposite effect) so you are burning more calories even at rest
How To Do Intervals
Here’s how you can implement intervals at home or at the gym using your own body weight – so here’s your no excuses interval work-out:
You will need a clock. A digital clock with a seconds or a conventional clock with a second hand will work.
- Your work interval will be 30 seconds
- Your rest interval will be as long as it takes to recover enough to go again, but not complete recovery
- Some examples of exercises you can do are
- High Knee Jog (marching fast at a running pace)
- Jumping Jacks
- Jumping Lunge
- For 30 seconds, go as fast as you can. Recover with marching in place. As soon as you catch your breath, immediately go again for 30 seconds.
- You should only be able to do this for 12 –15 minutes at the most before you feel you can’t go any more. If you can go longer, than you didn’t work hard enough.
- On a 1-10 scale with 1 sitting on the couch and 10 being all out, the interval should feel like an 8 or 9.
- If you haven’t been exercising regularly, check with your doctor.
When To Do Intervals
It only takes 3 times a week to do effective interval workouts for permanent fat loss. Try to spread them out with a day or two between. You could go Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.
…………For Best Results
Remember, for the very best fat loss results, you must also do resistance exercises and eat supportive, nutritious foods that allow your body to function optimally, not just function. You can never just exercise for fat loss. Your eating plan must be addressed if you really want to be of a healthy weight and have a toned, lean body.
In good health,
Marie V. Ande, BS,CSCS