- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups diced apples
- 6 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup packed mint torn into pieces
- 5 pieces well cooked AIP approved crispy bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch salt
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Shred chicken. I used rotisserie chicken, but you can use roasted, boiled or baked chicken. Also use any part of the chicken (thighs, breast, leg meat).
- Slice core out of apples and dice apples into 1/2 inch sized pieces. I left skin on apples.
- Slice cabbage in half and cut away white core. Cut in half again and very thinly slice cabbage. I used a small head of cabbage, so you may not need a full head to get 6 cups of shredded cabbage. Use any extra cabbage you have in another recipe.
- Trim stems off of mint and finely shred leaves with your hands.
- Bake bacon in oven on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees until crispy. You will need a cookie sheet that has a rim around the whole thing so the bacon grease won’t drip.
- To make dressing, I used an immersion hand blender, but you can use a regular blender too. Add avocado, olive oil, pinch salt, lemon juice and zest. Blend until smooth; about 1 minute.
- In a big bowl, add cabbage, mint, apple, bacon, chicken. Toss well. Then add all of dressing and toss again.
By Jessica Flanigan